incubator-general mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Retire AltRMI
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:36:13 GMT
The mentor and lead (cough) I mean person who made most commits. I've
also voted +1 for retirement@ Apache.

There are tons of things wrong with AltRMI that precluded a 1.0
release.   That notwithstanding the fact that it went out in a couple
of releases of

   * the callback side of it (duplex if you like) had some flaws in
that it would not scale very well and would create problems in the
attempt to recover a connection
   * there are some logical holes in the client/server
communication ... handshaking if you will
   * nothing about it is robust or hardened against hackers.
   * its Stub generator (Javac based) was well past in sell by date,
and one could suggest in the age of dynamic proxies is not needed
   * 20% of its code was bound to Avalon which just ain't needed
these days.
   * coverage was pretty low. no unit tests, although many
integration tests
   * arcane naming of classes, methods and concepts.
   * I could go on..

As it happens a massively reworked version lives at Codehaus -> (no site) with many features
deleted. It is a fork yes. Most of the code that survives has a
copyright statement crediting Apache - like http://
java/org/codehaus/jremoting/server/  A much smaller
number of genuinely new classes are copyrighted to just "The
JRemoting Committers" -
server/transports/  All is Apache licensed of
course rather than my more usual BSD

- Paul

On Nov 6, 2006, at 10:06 PM, Leo Simons wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2006, at 9:01 PM, peter royal wrote:
>> The AltRMI podling, <
>> altrmi.html> has become stagnant. Here is a vote to move it into
>> retirement.
>> [ ] -1 : It lives on, you someone missed my recent commits on it
>> last week
>> [ ]  0 : I don't do fall cleansing
>> [ ] +1 : Move to retirement
>> Here's my +1
> +1.
> Shame though. Such a great codebase it is. So much "just works"
> feeling attached to it no-one needs to work on it.
> Heh. Perhaps we can prod some of its contributors (who moved on to
> bigger and greater things long ago as far as I know) to contribute
> some of the good bits as a replacement RMI module to Harmony, and
> have AltRMI eclipse RMI many years after it was first envisioned.
> Or maybe not :)
> cheers,
> Leo

To unsubscribe, e-mail: