incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release notes... [was Re: [VOTE] Release ServiceMix 3.0.1]
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2006 05:08:40 GMT
> On 11/20/06, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > i strongly recommend adding RELEASE_NOTES. these are an important form
> > of guerrilla advertising. yes, tools like maven can generate lots of
> > documentation about the release but this doesn't replace a
> > RELEASE_NOTES explaining the project, inviting people to get involved
> > and inducating where other information can be found.
>

> In XFire we made our release notes our download page. This allowed us to
> inform the users, welcome them into the project, and provide up to date
> errata whenever they went to download. In the days of maven, a lot of people
> don't even download a distribution any more: in the month of October roughly
> 60% of the XFire users downloaded the binary distribution and 40% downloaded
> via Maven. If you factor in the amount of people that actually read the
> release notes, I think we are now in a situation where we have much less
> than half reading them (maybe less than 10%). Making the release notes the
> download page makes sure 100% of the people see it. Sticking it in the
> distribution also has other issues, namely people don't maintain the release
> notes and they can not be updated with errata after the release.
>
> So I think that having a release notes in the distribution is overrated and
> using the website can be a better approach.

Legacy is the biggest plus for putting the release notes in the
zip/tar.gz's; having to support all the old versions on the website
gets to be a pain, and is a long-term commitment.

I grabbed an old version of Cactus today from the archives because
something I was looking at needed it, and I recall Leo grabbing Apache
1.0 at an ApacheCon to try and test whether old C builds still built
on modern Linux boxes. Atomic releases are nice because you can
largely forget about them.

Hen