incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to bring code to Apache?
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 22:09:59 GMT
On 11/3/06, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@debrunners.com> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Any thoughts on the below?
>
> [snip]
>
> > the important part is that the code was developed outside of the ASF
> > SVN repository and the ASF public mailing lists.
>
> I struggle with what that really means. Code is technically developed in
> IDEs on people's machines, not on mailing lists.

Agreed - to the point that I used the text on the documentation page
rather than trying to paraphrase it.

The other phrase I've heard is:

"Created using the ASF development process"

> If I create a new file for an ASF project it's developed on my machine
> and subsequently committed to the project or posted as a patch. So for
> sometime the new file was outside the ASF SVN repository and not visible
> on a public mailing list.
>
> What really makes something developed "inside" the ASF?
>    - intention to contribute to a project?

Definitely not.

>    - JIRA entry created before the file is created?

Not important.

>    - discussion in mailing list before the file is created?

Openness is a lot of it - so this is often a good example of openness.

>    - creating the file in a local SVN copy from the ASF SVN?

I think this can be a warning sign. If a large 'svn add' commit is
done, then it's a warning sign to ask whether the change was developed
openly.

The barracks-lawyer (aka pain in the arse) in me looks at the
documentation and thinks "What if it was on a public asf mailing list,
was by people with asf clas but didn't use the svn repos?". I think
getting the answer for that would not be worth the small effort
required to file an ip clearance - but if the style was to have an
external svn and then slowly bring pieces over, it might be worth
figuring it out. Biggest question here would be 'why not the asf
svn?'.

Another case that is interesting is 'the big rewrite' style of commit.
If someone works on the next version of their project on their own and
then code dumps a lot of changes in, that also seems like it's going
to need IP clearance.

Hen