incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Igor Vaynberg" <igor.vaynb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: wikis
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 18:41:43 GMT
On 11/9/06, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:

> On 11/9/06, Igor Vaynberg <igor.vaynberg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > this is not a kind of attitude i would expect from a professional
> > organization. a big part of joining apache is the desire for a stable
> and
> > maintained infrastructure. we (wicket) came here from sf.net. things
> used to
> > go down there all the time, but they would get fixed - it wasnt a matter
> of
> > a "want" but part of the service they provide. sorry to rant, but its
> very
> > disappointing to see things like these here.
>
> This is no different than any other volunteer driven project.  If
> someone showed up at Wicket and demanded that their bug in an obscure
> part of the system get immediate attention despite the fact that
> everyone was busy working on other things I doubt you'd all jump up,
> drop what you're doing and go fix their problem, so why are you
> surprised when that happens in other places?

firstly no one is demanding anything, just expressing an opinion.

it really depends on how you define "obscure". imho a wiki is not an obscure
part of the infrastructure because most projects use it/need it. if the
service is not maintained properly or there is a lack of resources to
maintain it at least for a somewhat long term then i dont think it should be
offered at all. we put a lot of energy into building up our wiki, and so do
our users. it would be a shame to see all that work disappear because there
was a "lack of volunteers".

-igor

-garrett