incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:01:15 GMT
The file is in the persistence-api component.

https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/glassfish/persistence-
api/schemas/persistence_1_0.xsd?view=markup

The xsd file in question is licensed under the terms of the CDDL
license under which we already distribute the persistence jar file.

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Projects/GlassFishCodeDependencies

I think we're good to go with this file. The only thing to consider
is if we need to update the LICENSE file to call out that this file
is associated with this license.

Craig

On Nov 18, 2006, at 6:49 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

>> I'm not sure what to do about that one ... it is a cached copy of
>> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/orm_1_0.xsd which we use for
>> XML schema validation without having to go to the web (which would be
>> prohibitive). The original schema doesn't specify any license, and
>> I'm not sure what the implicit license would be, but I also wouldn't
>> feel right about sticking in an Apache license header for a file that
>> we obviously didn't create.
>
> exactly right: never just stick headers in anything without clear
> provinence
>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> in the absence of any clear license, there is a link at the bottom of
> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/ which says
> http://developers.sun.com/license/berkeley_license.html. arguable,
> though, it's part of the RI which is probably LGPL'd.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!