incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: clarification on SF license and sandboxes
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:51:07 GMT

> On 11/6/06, Mike Kienenberger <mkienenb@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/6/06, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm still confused - why do we allow people to upload attachments that
> > > are not intended for inclusion?
> > >
> > > I can see one very reasonable reason from a user point of view - the
> > > example they want to upload is business related and so they want to do
> > > their best to explain the problem to us, but not to have us publish
> > > those details any further. However that reason doesn't hold up as it's
> > > public if it's in our JIRA and if we don't know the license on it,
> > > then can we even use it to resolve the issue?
> > >
> > > What makes an attachment special? Why don't we have to do this for
> > > comments and the jira issue itself?
> > >
> > > Not seeing why we don't just say:  "All issues + attachments are
> > > intended for inclusion".
> >
> > There's a difference between "I don't want to contribute this code to
> > the project code base" versus "I don't want my code published."
> >
> > The "no" option means the code is not for inclusion into the project.
> > It doesn't necessarily mean that the code is confidential.
>
> What does 'not for inclusion' mean though?

It's probably better to ask this question on the infra@ list, since it's a
lot more likely that the discussion surrounding the explicit addition of
this checkbox happened there rather than here. I'm sure you'd rather have a
definitive answer rather than lots of pure speculation. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

If it's marked that way, can I take bits of the code out of it? Do I