incubator-general mailing list archives

From David E Jones <jone...@undersunconsulting.com>
Subject [VOTE] OFBiz Test Snapshot Release: 4.0.0 TS5
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 05:20:37 GMT

The OFBiz podling (PPMC and community) has reached a consensus
internally approving the 4.0.0 TS5 test snapshot release. We are now
requesting a vote for review and approval from the general Incubator
group and the Incubator PMC.

The current incubation docs recommend doing this sort of "test
snapshot" release, and it appears from recent conversations that this
will most likely soon be required for all podlings nearing
graduation. Based on our experience this has been a valuable exercise
and through these 5 tries we have made significant improvements to
the legal and other aspects of OFBiz and eventual releases. You'll
recognize most of this from the similar message I sent on September
22nd for our TS3. Thanks to feedback from various people (especially
Robert Burrell Duncan and the RAT tool) we have corrected many
license header issues and fleshed out the NOTICE file, which are now
both hopefully up to par.

The intent of this "release" is not to be something that will be
maintained over time or used be end-users of the project, and there
is no branch for it in SVN. Our goal with this test snapshot release
was to create an initial release process and make sure that all of
the artifacts are in place as needed. This includes:

- all license headers and copyright notices in place (ASL2 headers)
- no remaining old copyright notices or headers
- NOTICE, LICENSE, KEYS, et cetera files in place
- test proper zip and tgz files, plus the md5 and asc files for each
- put README file and other such things in place to make it
(hopefully) easy for an end user to run OOTB

Based on what has been established as part of this test snapshot
experience we plan to do a real release (version 4.0.0) after
graduation with a branch and such that will be maintained over time
and that is meant to be used by end-users, but those (again) are not
the intents of this test snapshot release.

The files for the release are available in my people.apache.org
account, see the links below for detailed locations.

-David

http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-incubating-4.0.0.TS5.zip
http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
incubating-4.0.0.TS5.zip.md5