incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: wikis
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:45:43 GMT
On Nov 9, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Don Brown wrote:

> What exactly makes something a part of the "official" ASF
> infrastructure?  I thought it was that a member of Infrastructure had
> volunteered to maintain it, and if that's the case, Confluence is
> indeed a part of the "official" ASF infrastructure since I, as a
> member of ASF and Infrastructure, have volunteered to maintain it.

When infrastructure votes to maintain it for as long as the
projects wish to use it, then it is infrastructure.  Right now,
Confluence is just an experiment and we made that abundantly clear.
The first two people who promised to maintain it disappeared
immediately after setup.  One new person is not sufficient to
maintain anything, even though the effort is appreciated.

To be maintainable, it must be possible for the entire team to
maintain the working instance.  That means documenting what to do
when it breaks, preferably somewhere that is accessible when it
happens to be broken (like under the infrastructure subversion).

....Roy