incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to submit policy changes?
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:25:28 GMT
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> > robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > > therefore to avoid a second vote to record a policy already approved,
> > > all policy changes should be proposed in the form of patches to the
> > > policy document.
>
> > I see your point, but it seems a tad excessive.  And it may not make the
> > policy as clear, when presented in the form of a diff.
>
> In the specific case of the bootstrap proposal, it would appear to effect:
>
>   http://incubator.apache.org/guides/entry.html
>   http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html
>   http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion

these pages are CTR. these can simply be updated once the policy is
approved. if there are no changes in the actual policy then what we
have are changes to recommendations and suggestions which are not
binding policy.

> And while we will need to record the policy, I'd rather not see a
> straightforward policy degenerate into a debate over how to factor web
> pages.  And it seems clear to me that such a diff across multiple pages
> would be far more difficult for people to understand.
>
> Thoughts?

policy is recorded only in one document so the diff would just be for
the http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html.

IMO the policy document should be a simple record of what has been
agreed by the IPMC with all explainations and descriptions pushed to
documents which are CTR.

- robert