incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:22:49 GMT
On 10/19/06, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2006, at 1:12 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> > You said that you have run Tomcat on top of Harmony. Why can't you
> > produce a release such that I can throw the Tomcat jar at it, too?
> > Sure, it is a developer release, but it let's non-Harmony folks play
> > with your project.
> >
> > Is there a specific problem with producing a developer release?
>
> No. It's just work.
>
> In the meantime, see
>
>         http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/downloads.html
>
> You can download and install a snapshot and throw tomcat at it. These
> are binaries.
>
> Doing a proper release means things like a source release that
> properly builds automatically. Given the size and complexity of
> harmony, the build is not trivial, and that means a proper release is
> a lot of work.

there are releases and releases :-)

big tasks have a tendency to get pushing further and further back. the
more they are pushed back, the more they grow.

daily snapshots are too quick a target for anyone downstream to work
on. once harmony starts cutting less frequent source releases then
developers downstream can start working on creating binary builds.
these downstream builds can then start to be fed back into the harmony
build.

there is no need to announce them nor adopt a naming convention that
suggests these are releases in the conventional sense. just weekly or
biweekly source drops authorized by a vote (apache-harmony-M200632,
say).

(but this has drifted OT so i'll shut up...)

- robert