incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:42:33 GMT
On 10/18/06, Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
> You said that you have run Tomcat on top of Harmony. Why can't you
> produce a release such that I can throw the Tomcat jar at it, too?
> Sure, it is a developer release, but it let's non-Harmony folks play
> with your project.

i'd like to give harmony a spin as well :-)

> Is there a specific problem with producing a developer release?

releases come in many forms :-)

it's usual to think of an easy-to-use ready-to-run binary aimed at end
users called something like httpd-2.0.59. i agree that harmony isn't
ready for something like that nor would the effort of producing
something like that be at all worthwhile.

but at an essential level, all that's require is to vote, tag the
source and create a tarball of the tagged source.

harmony already does something similar for daily snapshots. IMHO the
next step would be to start cutting milestones each week or two so
they can be picked up with a little more certainty than the daily
snapshots. perhaps name them after the week they were cut
(harmony-M3406, say).

i think harmony is more than ready to take this step.

- robert