incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release Requirements
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:25:44 GMT
On 10/12/06, Endre StĂžlsvik <Endre@stolsvik.no> wrote:
> Yoav Shapira wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 10/12/06, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> >> Can we agree that regardless of which style one might prefer the
> >> packaging,
> >> there are multiple valid approaches, and that this level of difference
> >> should not be a release criteria for the Incubator?
> >
> > Yes, agreed, +1.  This is a technical decision to be made by the
> > project team in the best interest of their users, not by the Incubator
> > PMC.
> >

> My two (probably rather worthless) cents:
>
> I find it slightly annoying that even different bin-balls within commons
> have different layouts when you unpack them. In particular when there
> are dependencies - you will actually have to check out each and every
> thing you download, and in some instances also download the src package,
> and some packages even don't have a "root dir", thus unpacking directly
> in current dir (that is however more or less unified now, isn't it?)

yeh - i've heard these kinds criticisms a lot from users over the
years (and been on the receiving end of too many)

> In particular "libraries" would benefit a lot if there was a common way
> that they were packaged. For example that the binary distribution had a
> <packagename>-ide.jar (or whatever you'd want to call them), having the
> source-files for easy integration into your ide, and maybe that the
> javadoc was at a predefined place. What about version-naming of the
> jars? Versioning of the root-dir?

i'm not in favour of enforcing standardization but i do think that a
menu of best practices from which a podling can choose is good. i also
think that a project which has no particularly strong opinions on
conventions such as versioning, naming and layout then should consider
adopting a pattern used widely elsewhere. hopefully the documentation
will capture this one day. until then, i'll continue to offer what
feedback i can whilst i'm reviewing a release.

>    Check out CPAN - that's structure for you!

:-)

- robert