incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] approve the 4.0.2 (RC4) release of ActiveMQ
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:49:20 GMT
Hi Robert,

Sorry for not responding earlier.  For some reason I missed a few emails on
this list and I had to get your mail back via a digest.  More comments
inline...

> From: "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com>
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:59:31 +0100
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] approve the 4.0.2 (RC4) release of ActiveMQ
> > In accordance with the incubator release procedure (see below) the
> > Apache ActiveMQ community has voted on and approved the 4.0.2 release
> > binary.  The last time  release candidate was  up for vote, it was
> > rejected due to issues with licence headers.  Those have now been
> > resolved.
> >
> > We would now like to request the permission of the Incubator PMC to
> > perform the release.
>
> apologies for missing this one earlier :-/
>
> RAT run:
>
> i'm happy that most of the files without headers don't require them
> (too small to have copyright)

Plus there are some that I'm not sure if there is a syntax for comments.
Anybody know if you can add comments to a JAAS config file?

there are a number of java script files with missing license headers:

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web/src/main/resources/org/apache/activemq/web/_amq.js
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web/src/main/resources/org/apache/activemq/web/amq.js

Headers added now.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/js/common.js
> worries me since it doesn't look like it was created at apache and i
> cannot see a license header.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/styles/style.css
> is similar.

Found the licences.. they use the commons creative license.  This is ok for
inclusion right?

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/js/mochi/MochiKit.js
> looks to be MIT but isn't mention in the LICENSE file nor does it have
> a header.

Your right about the MIT licence (it actually dual licenced).  I've now
appended the LICENSE file in their distro to our LICENSE file.

a number of files in
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/tags/activemq-4.0.2/systest/jmscts/resources/
>
> seem to lack headers but i'm wondering whether they are generated
> since i can't seem to find them in the trunk. can you clear up this
> mystery.
>

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/tags/activemq-4.0.2/systest/jmscts/src/java/org/exolab/jmscts/activemq/ActiveMQProvider.java
> requries an entry in the NOTICE file. the license should probably also
> be included in the LICENSE (see below).

The whole systest has been moved out of the main activemq distribution
module and into the activemq sandbox.  The systest/jmscts module in
particular is not fully cooked and we may drop it anyways since it is not
actually the sun cts and I have doubts if it actually properly tests jms
compliance.

incubator-activemq-4.0.2.jar contains the LICENSE and the disclaimer
> but is missing a NOTICE. this is needed if
> incubator-activemq-4.0.2.jar is to be distributed from a repository.

Well, the incubator-activemq-4.0.2.jar is an uber jar that segregates
multiple other jars.  All the META-INF data (including NOTICE files) in
those component jars are preserved in a META-INF/${jarname}/ directory.  For
example, the following NOTICE files are included:

   102 Tue May 09 23:08:16 CDT 2006 META-INF/activemq-optional-4.0.2.jar
/NOTICE.txt
   102 Tue May 09 23:08:16 CDT 2006 META-INF/commons-logging-1.1.jar
/NOTICE.txt
  1053 Fri Jul 01 12:46:38 CDT 2005 META-INF/derby- 10.1.1.0.jar/NOTICE

 Is there a specific NOTICE item you think we are missing?

notes:

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web/src/main/resources/org/apache/activemq/web/behaviour.js
>
> is BSD licensed (which is fine) but probably wants a mention at the
> bottom of the LICENSE file. for example, see
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/examples/LICENSE . same goes for
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web/src/main/resources/org/apache/activemq/web/prototype.js
> ,
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/js/css.js
> .
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/js/plotkit/Base.js
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/js/plotkit/Canvas.js
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/js/plotkit/Layout.js
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/js/plotkit/SweetCanvas.js
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/js/plotkit/SweetSVG.js
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/js/plotkit/iecanvas.htc
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-demo/src/main/webapp/js/scriptaculous.js
>
> and http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-web-console/src/main/webapp/js/standardista-table-sorting.js

I've added all the  above to our LICENCE file now.  Do we also need to add
something to the NOTICE.  Since the BSD licence actually includes the
copyright holder name on it, I ended up having multiple BSD style license in
our license file. :(

the source distributions unpacks to the same directory as the binary.
> this is inconvenient for users. it's better to unpack the source to
> incubator-activemq-4.0.2-src.

I figured out how to fix this.  next RC should have the -src extension.

- robert

Thanks for the excelent work reviewing our distro!

--
Regards,
Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com