incubator-general mailing list archives

From Graham Turrell <GTURR...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject publishing standard XML Schema as part of Woden deliverable
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:22:03 GMT

Hi list,

I originally posted this question to legal-discuss, but thought it would
be good to widen the circulation to general@incubator to get the benefit of
your experience also. All comments/thoughts welcome !

I work on the Woden incubator project and have been asked to investigate
what (legal and/or procedural) issues there might be in including the
standard WSDL2 schema and XML schema as part of the Woden deliverable. This
is in connection with the provision of a URI Resolver in Woden, one use of
which is to redirect Schema access to locally stored versions, thus
allowing offline parsing.

Also, we have a testcase that uses local schema copies (even though the
woden deliverable itself currently does not contain them). The testcases
are stored on apache svn server and we need to add this new testcase to
them. Are there any issues with doing so? I would stress that they that
they are *not* part of the deliverable.

I include the copyright statements for the files in question:

wsdl20.xsd (wsdl20-extensions.xsd, wsdl20-rpc.xsd and wsdl20-soap.xsd all
use the same copyright notice).:

<!--
   W3C XML Schema defined in the Web Services Description (WSDL)
    Version 2.0 specification
     http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20

   Copyright © 2005 World Wide Web Consortium,

   (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, European Research Consortium for
   Informatics and Mathematics, Keio University). All Rights Reserved. This
   work is distributed under the W3C © Software License [1] in the hope
that
   it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied
   warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

   [1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231

   $Id: wsdl20.xsd,v 1.11 2006/05/08 23:52:18 aryman Exp $
-->

The remaining required files xml.xsd, XMLSchema.dtd and XMLSchema.xsd do
*not* appear to contain copyright notices.

Many thanks. Let me know if you need further information.  I look forward
to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Graham.