incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Checkpoint on Harmony (Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation)
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:03:52 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Of course, one could simply manufacture a synthetic release for the
> purposes of satisfying a perceived incubation requirement, but honestly,
> that seems more like one of the "ticky-marks driven processes" I tend to
> see within my day job than anything I would expect to see at the ASF.

+1

In MOST cases, as Robert says, going through even a pro-forma release is useful.  And Robert
did find some problems using RAT.  *BUT* I'll bet that he would find that many projects have
similar issues --- and we probably should promote RAT as something for ALL ASF projects to
use to help evaluate their releases.  Make testing with RAT something, as we have just started
to see a few do, that the people preparing releases use proactively to check what they are
doing.

> I am growing increasingly concerned with is that we (collectively)
> have started to lose sight on what the mission of the incubator is.
> Yes, not having a release is an indicator, but there certainly are
> other indicators.  No, I'm not advocating that we "rush" projects
> out of the incubator.

Harmony may be an exception to the claimed rule, but that's why I repeatedly advocate that
we should focus on human judgment not on rules.  Most of us would agree that Harmony is ready
for graduation.  As Roy put it, he'd have voted +1 to release if Geir had simply posted the
draft resolution and called for a vote.

	--- Noel