incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:42:51 GMT
On Oct 18, 2006, at 1:12 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> You said that you have run Tomcat on top of Harmony. Why can't you
> produce a release such that I can throw the Tomcat jar at it, too?
> Sure, it is a developer release, but it let's non-Harmony folks play
> with your project.
>
> Is there a specific problem with producing a developer release?

No. It's just work.

In the meantime, see

	http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/downloads.html

You can download and install a snapshot and throw tomcat at it. These
are binaries.

Doing a proper release means things like a source release that
properly builds automatically. Given the size and complexity of
harmony, the build is not trivial, and that means a proper release is
a lot of work. See

	http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/
index.html
	http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/drlvm/index.html

Making Joe User go through that is not much fun, and there's all
these possibilities for failures that would be nice to hammer out,
otherwise Joe User will be Frustrated By Failure.

So far, it seems most of the developers have been keen to keep
coding. I suspect after the classlibrary reaches 100% coverage (or
after someone reading this volunteers to spend cycles on it),
there'll be more of an effort. Having some big server hardware to
produce official builds on (working on it...) will help too.

LSD