incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:02:06 GMT
On Oct 18, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 10/18/06, Sam Ruby <rubys@apache.org> wrote:
>> At ApacheCon, it was noticed that at the present time the number of
>> podlings exceeds the number of Apache projects (I believe the figures
>> quoted were 37 to 35).
>>
>> I am of the opinion that the pendulum has swung too far - we seem to
>> have a number of potential projects effectively "parked" in
>> incubation.
>>
>> In the case of Harmony, I would be prepared to vote for graduation.
>
> As long as the Harmony PPMC has demonstrated that it can manage itself
> (a very good sign of this is adding new committers and/or conducting a
> release), then, IMHO, it's ready to graduate.  But, I'm not willing to
> compromise on that to rush projects out of the Incubator.  We've all
> seen the hell that happens when we approve podlings too soon.  --
> justin

Let the record show that harmony is not rushing out of the incubator.
I certainly didn't factor the number of projects in incubation into
my "+1 for TLP" when I cast that vote on harmony-private, and I'm
rather confident no-one else did, either.

At the harmony BOF in Dublin (some months ago) I asserted we might
start thinking about completing incubation, and that sentiment was re-
iterated in e-mail somewhere, I'm sure. Basically the sentiment was
"well, we're sorta ready, but let's just take care of this....and
this....and this...., and then we look at graduating sometime before
the next apachecon".

Guess what, the next apachecon came and went, and harmony hasn't
graduated yet.

So if you detect any feeling of hurriedness, its more like the
Harmony Process Turtle making a small sprint as part of a looong
marathon, going from .5 kilometers/hour to .51 kilometers/hour,
before dropping back down to its normal leasurely pace.

LSD

PS: Harmony also has a Development Freight Train which would've
reached the speed of light by now if it wasn't for the turtle being
in the way.