incubator-general mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: voting was Re: [PROPOSAL] Ivy
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:10:59 GMT

On Oct 23, 2006, at 7:24 PM, david reid wrote:
> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>> it's a hint that the voter is a pmc member.
>
> *sigh*
>
> Really, no, seriously, you're telling me that the PMC can't be trusted
> to count votes from it's members and others it feels are qualified?

It's surely easier to count the votes that officially count when it's
specified.  There have been requests on prior votes to have this
specified.

> Seriously, pointing out such differences just splits the community.
>
> "Hey, my vote counts! Yours doesn't!"

Well, formally the community _is_ split - there are PMC members and
there are non-PMC members, and there are contributors, etc.  So there
are most definitely "groups" here.  The good news is that by
volunteering and scratching your itches, you can be in any role you
like.  I'm personally on the very lame side of a PMC member status,
and don't really even feel part of the incubator at all other than to
follow along with a couple of pet projects.

> After seeing the people involved in the incubator at AC US, I'm pretty
> sure they were all past the stage of being impressed by such
> things. We
> should get over ourselves.

It is not being done to impress anyone, but rather to assist those
tallying votes by request.  I'm happy to drop it though, and "just
vote" - I've often forgotten to mention the binding nature of my
votes anyway.

	Erik