incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy on Initial Committership
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 07:21:34 GMT
Hmpf.

On Oct 1, 2006, at 8:26 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Taken from the "Problem with commit rights on Celtixfire" thread:
>
>  - The Incubator PMC sets the Mentors, who form the initial PPMC
>  - The PPMC (Mentors) elects additional PPMC members
>  - The PPMC elects Committers

I would say this is part of a direction where more authority is
delegated from PMC to mentors. Some observations

*) who constitute mentors for a project is not always properly
accounted during the life of the project.

*) this makes it more important that mentors have some amount of
experience at the incubator (instead of "just" being valued ASF
members).

*) in the case of existing projects coming in, "elects additional
PPMC members" really does feel wrong as a sentence. Even if its quite
possible for the mentors to elect the PPMC immediately, it doesn't
convey the right feeling.

I like the direction, but I don't like the wording, and I would like
to see just a little more detail to make things less ambiguous. In
terms of a vote, that would normally be a -1, but since I assume (uh
oh) that'll happen anyway before this is actually turned into website
documentation, count me a sceptical -0.

> This also implies changing the proposal's initial committers list to
> something suggestive not binding, allowing the the Mentors review
> and vote
> on comitters.
>
> So far, as responses we have:
>
> +1:
>     Noel J. Bergman
>     Mads Toftum
>     Henri Yandell
>     Davanum Srinivas
>     Jason Van Zyl
>     Robert Burrell Donkin
>
> Justin has raised a concern that we not create an unfair or insulting
> barrier existing, active. committers on communities joining the
> ASF.  Robert
> and I have independently expressed our views that this won't do so.
>
> Since we've discussed almost this exact proposal in the past, I'll
> try to
> get some time Monday or Tuesday to dig up any past objections, unless
> someone beats me to it.

I don't like how you call a vote a few hours after someone expresses
a concern. I share Justin's (and Martijn's) concern and I don't think
you fully addressed it at all.

LSD