incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Martijn Dashorst" <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Release Requirements
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:55:46 GMT
Endre,

I think you are missing the community part of ASF. ASF is not a
company, nor a big old business. It is a community with a variety of
projects, and as such a variety of packaging demands and wishes.

I like the idea of a (pretty) low bar entry to Apache where the only
criteria are the ones currently stated in the incubator graduation
requirements.

Adding release particulars to these requirements is in my opinion too
restrictive and too cumbersome for any project.

We can't go and enforce all projects to release their artifacts on
ibiblio in the maven repository. This would be very strange indeed for
httpd or xmlc. We can't enforce that all projects have to supply an
ant file for their build infrastructure, again this doesn't make sense
in a C, perl, or python project. We can't enforce one type of
code/project documentation standard: enforcement of txt, doxia,
forrest, docbook, latex, tex, odf, sxw, doc, rtf, etc.
Any project may choose what kind of documentation it creates, in what
format it is released and maintained. We could argue that the format
should be an open format, this being an open source community, but
again I think this is something the community of the project should
decide as they are their primary users.

The only requirements ASF should enforce on projects is that they
comply with the basic principles of the ASF in a legal and community
sense. Anything else should be handled by the community/project
itself, including how to compose a release.

Martijn

for <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/stuff/wicket">Wicket</a>
at the <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/">Best Stuff in
the World!</a>