incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy on Initial Committership
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 03:19:23 GMT
On Oct 4, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> The only question is what authority is granted to the PPMC by the
>> Incubator, and every podling since Geronimo has acted according to
>> the policy that all decisions are made by the PPMC with a minimal
>> quorum of three PMC +1 votes.
>
> EXACTLY!  A minimum of three PMC +1 votes.  Because that's what we
> need, and
> those are the ones that are binding.  Without that minimum quorum
> of three
> PMC +1 votes, you don't have enough binding votes.

Every vote that counts toward the majority is a binding vote.
If the PPMC members out-vote the PMC members on any issue, the
majority still carries.  If a committer can veto a commit, then
they have a binding vote.  Are you using the term differently?

I really don't understand how you can expect a PPMC to make a
decision on anything if they can't vote and be counted.  I thought
that is why we created PPMCs.  I wanted to put everyone on the
Incubator PMC and thus solve both problems, but others were
satisfied by the delegation, based IIRC on the fact that the
board resolution that created the Incubator is different from
any of the TLPs.  *shrug*

Maybe we should just change the bylaws?

....Roy