incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy on Initial Committership
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:28:13 GMT

On Oct 1, 2006, at 2:26 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Taken from the "Problem with commit rights on Celtixfire" thread:
>
>  - The Incubator PMC sets the Mentors, who form the initial PPMC
>  - The PPMC (Mentors) elects additional PPMC members
>  - The PPMC elects Committers
>
> This also implies changing the proposal's initial committers list to
> something suggestive not binding, allowing the the Mentors review
> and vote
> on comitters.
>
> So far, as responses we have:

-1 from Jim.

I think that the initial PPMC should stay as documented,
since it gets the podling off on the right start,
bootstrapping the PPMC with those who are already,
hopefully, major movers in the community. This
simply means that during the proposal cycle the
mentors and the sponsors and initial list of committers
requires more oversight.

Or, if you prefer, each podling proposal specifies
exactly:

    Sponsor Organization
    Sponsor
    Mentor(s)
    Initial PPMC
    Initial Committers

and leave nothing to chance.

Also note that requiring the initial PPMC also implies,
IMO, that 1 is not the optimal number of Mentors, but
at least 3 or more would be required... Since we
already have some issues with podlings with "large"
numbers of Mentors, this leads the incubator
down a path I don't think we want.