incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Request to join in development of lucene4c
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:07:56 GMT
On 10/27/06, Yoav Shapira <yoavs@apache.org> wrote:
> And more generally: you don't need to ask permission to join the
> development of any Apache project.  Your help is welcome.
>
> Start by reading the general guidelines at
> http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html
>
> Simply join the mailing list(s) for the project, start participating
> in the discussion, look at the project's issue tracker for open issues
> and submit patches to them, and so on.  Typically each project has
> directions on how to get involved.

Well, I suspect he's asking on this list because in the process of
shutting down lucene4c I put a "hey, ask on general@incubator if you
want to get this project started again" notice on the project's web
site, mainly because I was planning on turning off the lucene4c
mailing lists because at this point all they do is generate moderation
requests for spam.

As for contributing to it, the lists are still there (haven't gotten
around to killing them off yet), so if you want to start sending in
patches I may be able to find time to review and apply them.  If you
can do that a few times you'll likely get commit access, and then you
can keep the project going.  I do warn you though, there are literally
no other people working on the project right now, and I have limited
time to review and apply changes.  You might have better luck
investigating the Lucy project, as it has somewhat similar goals and
is more active.

-garrett