incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Policy on Initial Committership
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 00:52:56 GMT
On 10/8/06, Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org> wrote:

> On 8 Oct 06, at 8:55 AM 8 Oct 06, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > On 10/8/06, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> However, in that case I would really like to see it that
> >> if committers from other ASF projects read the proposal
> >> and have a sincere interest in helping, that they be
> >> included in the initial list, since I think it helps
> >> bootstrap the community process right off the bat.
> >

> > Noel and I were chatting about this last night, and my position is
> > that I'm
> > okay with 'piling on' by ASF folks *if* the podling community is
> > happy with
> > that.  If the podling folks do not want them on the initial list
> > and desire
> > that they earn their commit bits through actual participation, I'm
> > okay with
> > that too.
> >
> > Noel's said that being the arbitrator of who is on the list should
> > be the
> > role of the Champion and I think that's probably as good as we're
> > going to
> > get.  But, by the time the Incubator PMC votes on a proposal, that
> > list must
> > be set (i.e. no deletions after the vote concludes).  -- justin
>
> +1
>
> In addition I would like to add the process used for OpenEJB as the
> gold standard for creating this initial list:
>
> ---
> As far as how we came up with the commit list, it's actually pretty
> neat.  For the proposal, I added everyone who had commit.  For the
> actual giving commit, I was much more cautious.  I created a status
> file and gave people basically two months to add their name.  I did
> this for two reasons
>
> 1.  filters the completely inactive and proves at least some level of
> activity (you have to at least read the list and update svn)
> 2.  a formal acknowledgment that you understand and agree with our
> moving to apache and want to participate

I disagree with filtering even inactive old contributors to an
incoming project (at least for open source projects, I'm not sure how
I feel with regard to inactive contributors to proprietary code that's
being contributed).  I think it would be quite wrong if a former
contributor were to show up 6 months after the project moved to the
ASF and had to jump through all sorts of hoops to gain access to the
code again.  At the very least we should have some provision for
preemptively marking inactive people as emeritus committers, who can
come back at any time.

-garrett