incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Policy on Initial Committership
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:41:29 GMT
On 10/2/06, Mark Little <mark.little@jboss.com> wrote:
> Without wanting to open up flames about what constitutes a true
> "open" source project: if you're trying to build up a community then
> not erecting artificial barriers to entry is a good start. I've used
> the Redhat/JBoss example already, but there are others where the
> communities thrive and grow because of a more "enlightened" approach!
> Plus, sticking with what was agreed collectively prior to the start
> of the project is another good community building act: or at least if
> you're going to change it, do it publicly and with the involvement of
> EVERYONE who was involved with the formation of the project.

I'm not arguing that removing people from the list of committers was
correct, I don't have the insight into the particular situation here,
so I'll leave that to the mentors.  I'm just objecting to the idea
that it's impossible to contribute without commit access.  If these
people were really anxious to start helping out I would have expected
to see more than "when's my commit coming" from them.

-garrett