incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: PPMCs [was Re: what are required for contributing to release management]
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2006 22:20:07 GMT
On 10/1/06, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> For example, if I were to work on a project for many months at Google Code
> and then propose it to come here, why shouldn't I continue to have a say in
> what the project does?  Why do I need to justify myself all over again?  Why
> aren't my past contributions enough to merit a seat on the PPMC?  What gives
> the mentors the power to 'reset' the community and block me from
> participating until I jump through their vague and ill-defined hoops?

Personally, I think the bar on commit to incoming projects should be
simple, if you've made a contribution (code, docs, whatever) that's
significant enough that it would justify commit access here, you
should get it.  For projects that are coming from the open source
world, that just means "If you've got commit on it before it's at the
ASF, you still do when it moves to the ASF", if it's corporate then
obviously some due diligence needs to be done, but I think that's
probably important in order to prevent the problem of providing a
backdoor that avoids the whole meritocracy thing.

Specifically though, I'd like to be clear that I don't think you
should have to be an active participant in the project at the time it
moves to the ASF in order to get commit/PPMC membership.  As long as
you're paying attention enough to sign the paperwork, the fact that
you at one point qualified for this sort of access should be enough
IMO.  I know personally, when I have earned commit access to a project
I expect that to still be there in the future, even if I fall off the
planet for a while and don't have time to work on it.  If the project
had moved to the ASF in the meantime and all of a sudden I had to
fight my way back to the same level of access I had in the past, I'd
be pissed.

-garrett