incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve the 2.0.1 release of Cayenne
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:17:19 GMT
Hi Robert,

On Oct 1, 2006, at 12:57 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> oh yes: the LICENSE and NOTICE files are ok but the LICENSE file could
> be improved by including an indication about to which artifact or
> source file the particular license applies.

I guess then it would duplicate NOTICE file (not that it is bad, just
more chance for the two to get out of sync in the future). NOTICE
does it in a way already, so I think of it as an "index" for the more
verbose LICENSE.

On Oct 1, 2006, at 12:35 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> a RAT run turned up a few issues:
>
> *IMPORTANT* not under open source license:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cayenne/main/tags/2.0.1/
> cayenne/cayenne-other/wiki-docs/Documentation/User%20Guide/
> Introduction/Guide%20to%201.1%20Features/cayenne-data-map-1_2.dtd

Everything except for DTD's are generated files. We'll will fix the
DTD's shortly.

> interesting that this is a(nother) binary-with-source distribution.
> this looks like it's been constructed by a build process rather than a
> direct svn snapshot.

True - this was a conscious decision made a few years ago with the
goal to make the release artifacts user-friendly.

Looking at some projects that post releases as SVN snapshots can be a
nightmare - it is organized for development, not for end-user
consumption. It will be a nightmare for Cayenne too, as Cayenne trunk
(targeting 3.0 release) is switched to Maven, and there is no one-to-
one correspondence between final release jars and Maven artifacts
because of multiple JDK versions support, lightweight stripped down
jars for remote clients, etc.

> i hope that cayenne will also be made available as a source
> distribution.

I'd like to hear arguments why this would be a good thing?

I can think of two:

* Smaller download. IMO this is addressed by clean SVN tagging (users
can always build a given version if they want); widespread use of
broadband (not only in the West); and much more user-friendly release
(you get binaries, source and tools in one place and in place where
you expect to find it).

* Binaries are not cross-platform. Aside from the tool launchers,
everything is Java.

Andrus