incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Policy on Initial Committership
Date Sun, 08 Oct 2006 14:39:49 GMT
On 10/8/06, Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org> wrote:

> In addition I would like to add the process used for OpenEJB as the
> gold standard for creating this initial list:
>
> ---
> As far as how we came up with the commit list, it's actually pretty
> neat.  For the proposal, I added everyone who had commit.  For the
> actual giving commit, I was much more cautious.  I created a status
> file and gave people basically two months to add their name.  I did
> this for two reasons
>
> 1.  filters the completely inactive and proves at least some level of
> activity (you have to at least read the list and update svn)
> 2.  a formal acknowledgment that you understand and agree with our
> moving to apache and want to participate
>
> We ended up with a smaller list of committers, but actually got some
> old committers active again, so that was a big plus.
> ---

The concern I have with this procedure is that we'd drop folks after the
proposal is voted on and approved.  If this procedure were done before
approval to create the initial list, that's okay with me.  My concern is
that if someone is on the initial list, that they have the right to
commit/PPMC status if they ask for it.  -- justin