incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy on Initial Committership
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:01:31 GMT
On 10/1/06, Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk> wrote:

> > If we do not accept the people, we don't accept the code.  -- justin
>
> So are you suggesting we boot out a project like xxxxxxx? or are
> you happy with incubator projects being fully open for companies
> stacking their employees in to "own" a project?
> I for one find it quite worrying that it is entirely possible to list
> something like 10 or 15 of your employees on a proposal and sidestep the
> whole meritocracy issue.

Yes, we do not accept a project if we're not prepared to grant commit access
to those who have worked on the code.  Again, the perception we are on the
verge of fostering is that the meritocracy only happens here and for
communities (like Wicket) where people have earned their access elsewhere,
we are saying that we do not respect that as we will let the mentors by fiat
decide who is worthy or not.

I don't care much about the sidestepping of meritocracy: the community will
not be able to graduate until they are diverse - hence the problem is
self-correcting.  If they can't gather a diverse collection of people, then
no dice.

I am concerned that we may permit PPMCs who view it as their right to refuse
access to people who have actively contributed in the past and want to
continue contributing because they don't like them personally or their
employer or feel that they are not leadership material.  Those aren't
grounds for barring access.  -- justin