incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <>
Subject Re: PPMCs [was Re: what are required for contributing to release management]
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2006 18:39:33 GMT
On 10/1/06, Noel J. Bergman <> wrote:
> > > I am pretty philosophically against making every committer PPMC
> members.
> > I don't agree at all.  If they contribute code, they merit a say in the
> > direction of the project.  To do otherwise is to exclude them from the
> > community.  Remember that only folks on the PPMC have a vote: a
> committer
> > does not have any say or vote in the project at all.
> Are you reading Dan's statement as independent or dependent upon time?  I
> read it as an objection to mandated concurrency.  Over time, your view
> should be the dominant one, as each Committer becomes a (P)PMC member.

My comment was in reply to the entirety of Dan's comment (which you

But, as for the one line that you retained: I view Dan's perspective as
being independent of time - that is, committers should never equal the PMC -
I view that as extremely unhealthy.  Placing qualities besides what they
contribute as qualifications to PMC status is to miss the point - if you
contribute to the project, you get a vote.  -- justin