incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mark Little <mark.lit...@jboss.com>
Subject Re: Policy on Initial Committership
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:23:17 GMT

On 2 Oct 2006, at 16:31, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Monday October 02 2006 10:54 am, Newcomer, Eric wrote:
>> How could they contribute when they were not given access?
>
> The same way any non-commiter contributor contributes to a project:
>
> 1) JIRA - creating JIRA items, submitting patches, etc... I admit,
> the CXF
> JIRA was not setup to allow patches to be attached for the first
> couple
> weeks.   Once that was discovered, we did get it fixed as quickly
> as possible
> and it's been ok for several weeks now.  (One note: I did send a
> request [1]
> for JIRA ids to be added so I could create a master list for
> infrastructure
> rather than bombard them with "one at a time" requests.  I didn't
> get a
> response from everyone, although I don't know if Jason or the other
> mentors
> did get a response.)
>
> 2) Dev lists - participate in discussions, start discussions with
> new ideas,
> ask questions, etc...
>
> 3) Wiki - help out with the wiki if the wiki is publicly
> editable.    If not,
> definitely try to document ideas and findings in some form or
> another so it
> can be added to the wiki.
>
> All three of those are very valuable contributions to a project,
> but they
> don't require commit access (other than maybe the wiki depending on
> how
> that's setup).   All three are generally how someone earns commit
> access.

Sure, but isn't that the process for if you join AFTER the project
has started? If you're on the list of initial supporters/committers
then it's a different policy I believe. It's certainly not the
approach we were lead to believe when we were approach by IONA to
support the formation of the group.

As I've said before, there are two aspects to this: the change of
policy with regards to initial committers, and then defining who gets
committer rights. I'm all for having an open discussion around
changing the list of committers if it is deemed necessary by the
group and we decide the initial list is not a good seed from which to
work. But an open discussion was never had. The list of initial
submitters/committers, who were consulted at the formation of the
project, were not consulted subsequently and were presented with the
results (no commit access) as a done deal. That is bad management in
my opinion and irrespective of the fact that this is an open source
project. It does not help build a community spirit. So let's just get
this straight: how this has been (man)handled is probably the biggest
issue I have with the whole situation.

Mark.