incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem with commit rights on Celtixfire
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 08:51:38 GMT
On 10/2/06, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>

> > This is why I keep pushing back with the idea that we bootstrap in
> > a defined
> > manner:
> >
> >  - The Incubator PMC sets the Mentors, who form the initial PPMC
> >  - The PPMC (Mentors) elects additional PPMC members
> >  - The PPMC elects Committers
> >
> > This is simple and human driven, delegating decisions in the normal
> > ASF
> > manner.
>
> I don't like that. I don't like that fact that from
> the start, those who are approved as initial committers
> aren't on the PPMC. If that means we need to trim the
> size of the initial pool of committers in the proposal,
> then I'm all for that. But restricting initial PPMC membership
> just to Mentors when those people who are the initial
> committers have (one hopes) already the long association
> with the code and the community aren't included in
> just seems wrong, and getting the podling off to
> the wrong start.

+1

For example,  in an existing project like Wicket seeing who is
proposed to be the initial committers is very relevant - especially if
there were key members of that community that didn't want to be part
of the project after moving to the ASF. Since individuals/community is
of prime importance to the ASF, not including a list of initial
committers in this example would IMO be bizarre.

Niall