incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steve Vinoski <vino...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Outside view on incubator policy to initial committer list
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:36:17 GMT
Sorry, Leo, but I don't see the point of your message below making
statements about CXF that are wholly untrue.

First, CXF is corporate? That's incorrect, given that it's purely the
combination of two separate open source projects, Celtix and XFire.
Celtix was developed completely under the ObjectWeb community, and
XFire was developed under Codehaus.

Second, CXF is nothing but a bunch of buzzwords? I've personally been
working for over 15 years now with numerous people in various
middleware communities on the technologies and techniques that have
led to what's going into CXF. Over the years those communities have
delivered a variety of commercial and open source systems based on
those techniques that run every single day, often for years at a
time, in production. I can assure you that these approaches are quite
far from being just buzzwords. You very likely use such systems every
single day, in fact, perhaps without knowing it -- whenever you make
a phone call or carry out a financial transaction, for example.
(Coincidentally, Mark Little, one of the people directly affected by
this whole issue, has done tons of work in this area over the years
as well.)

Lastly, CXF has strong champions like Dan D. and Dan K. working on
it, along with some strong committers. I have no doubt they'll
continue to work with their mentors to make CXF a success.

--steve