incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: New Name for UIMA Podling?
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:35:18 GMT
The most popular way to pronounce UIMA is you-eee-muh.

There is a fairly large user community using pre-Apache UIMA.   The
potential confusion about which UIMA people may be talking about may be
mitigated somewhat by versioning.  The pre-Apache releases are numbered
1.x.x; the Apache ones will be numbered as 2.x.x and higher.  (We are
showing a "beta" level of 2.x in pre-Apache form, but will transition
users as rapidly as possible to the the Apache one, once we get set up
and "going" in Apache).

If we rename it, this might cause some confusion itself - it would
appear that there were 2 different things, rather than one thing that
was moving from its previous environment to Apache.  I'm not sure what
would be more confusing - having a new name, or having users understand
that the project has moved to Apache.

I agree it's good to avoid creating the impression of having Apache
becoming a BigCo shill.  But I'm not sure renaming will do very much for
this point, one way or another.

For what its worth, I'm slightly on the side of thinking it's less
confusing (especially to the existing users) to keep the name.

-Marshall Schor