incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Forrest? Trees?
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2006 03:18:47 GMT

I'm pretty resigned to the fact that we're not going to be able to
present a resolution to the board this month for Harmony.  I do keep a
flicker of hope, mainly because I'm an eternal optimist.

I do think it's a shame, because I believe the core values sought and
taught in the incubation process are community and IP provenance, and I
think Harmony has that in ample quantity.  I think that those are the
core strengths of any Apache project, the necessary toolset needed by a
community.

Sure, there are minor nits in a few missing license headers in some
scripts or CSS files or whatever, and it's good to point them out
because these details are very important, but I think we're missing the
bigger picture here.   These kinds of things don't reflect any defects
in the community IMO - they're buried in the noise.   It's just an
oversight. Here are some other irrelevant oversights :

There is no NOTICE file in /jackrabbit/trunk/textfilters,  no license
header in /apr/apr-util/trunk/build.conf, inaccurate copyright statement
in /maven/maven-1/core/trunk/build-bootstrap.xml, no license header in
/tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/catalina/src/conf/server.xml, no license
header in /webservices/axis2/trunk/c/autogen.sh, no license header in
/spamassassin/trunk/INSTALL  .....

I was just clicking around more or less randomly to find things.  I
don't think the above oversights matter.  I suspect that the projects
are happy for the info, and will fix.

Anyway, I look forward to getting beyond this issue, and bringing my
lessons learned as one on the receiving end of the incubator graduation
process back as a member of the IPMC.

geir