incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Factors for Graduation (Was Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation)
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:58:45 GMT
I'm not dismissing the importance of Greg's concern, and am not trying
to take the Harmony conversation down a rat-hole (or different rat-hole
in this case...), so I changed the Subject line.

---

Let me take a brief side trip here about [Unwritten] Incubator
Graduation Requirements....

Isn't this a bit open ended, in that you can always choose some
important and common aspect of Apache project life and ask if the
podling has done it?

1) Has the podling shown they can deal with technical dissent on a commit?

2) Has the podling shown they can deal with two competing solutions to a
problem?

3) Has the podling shown they can deal with an emergency security patch
to a release?

4) Has the podling shown they can deal with a troll on the user list?

5) Has the podling shown they can deal with resignation from the PMC?

6) Has the podling shown they can deal with a downstream consumer
abusing the podling name/trademark?

7) Has the podling shown they can deal with a "revolutionary" fork
inside the podling?

8) Has the podling shown they can deal with mistakes in accepting
contributions or including 3rd party dependencies?

9) Has the podling been able to work with outside communities in a
productive manner that shines a positive light on the ASF?

10) has the podling been able to police itself in terms of ensuring
civil and non-personal (other than friendly) discourse among the
participants?

11) has the podling been able to demonstrate the ability to work closely
  and productively with other Apache projects/podlings?

12) Does the podling have an established and well-understood pattern for
voting on issues?

13) Has the podling had to deal with legitimate/illegitimate
interruption of that standard voting pattern?

14) Has the podling added committers?

15) Has the podling grown the PPMC?

FWIW, Harmony has dealt peacefully and successfully with 1, 2 (two math
and two RMI impls, we chose based on technical merit), 4, 7-ish
(committer had to prove a concept to internal skeptics), 8 (j.u.c went
to wrong place in our SVN - it doesn't have cleanroom provenance), 9
(our interaction with MX4J, SableVM), 10, 11 (our engagement with Yoko
to provide our CORBA impl - in fact, a Harmony committer also earned
commit on Yoko), 12 (in spades) 13 (legit), 14, 15

I think it would be absurd to require a podling to have to check all of
these boxes, but they are important things, just as important as a
release, and arguably happens far more often than a release.  And the
skills that help a podling navigate the above list, are the same skills
that come into play in a release.

What I look for in podlings is a sense of "Do I reasonably believe that
the community be able to independently deal with things like this
(including releases) in their future life as a TLP?"

And yes, I have and will again make mistakes - it's a judgment call -
which is why there are more than one set of eyes on these things...

geir