incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:44:58 GMT
(I had a modified version of this yesterday, as I wanted to wait to
summarize.  Here it is, trimmed down)

Mads Toftum wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 11:44:22PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> The PPMC of the Apache Harmony incubator podling has voted to ask for
>> graduation from the Apache Incubator.  We have enjoyed our time here
>> with you, but feel that we don't want to overstay our welcome.  We want
>>  to do our part to help make sure the ASF has more projects than the
>> Incubator :)
>>
> On the surface everything appears fine to the point of graduating minus
> the proving that you can do a release. But given past experiences with
> graduating large projects too fast, I'd be much in favor of keeping
> Harmony in incubation for another 6 months - it worries me slightly that
> you seem to be in haste to move on almost immediately after all
> requirements look ok, not giving it a bit of time to prove that this is
> not just a temporary state.

Just to be clear :

1) The project has been incubating for ~18 months now.

2) It was suggested back in July(?) to ask to graduate, and several of
us, including me, pushed back, as we wanted to see if we could diversify
more and also ensure that our day-to-day working patterns were indeed
stable.  We agreed back then to revisit in the ApacheCon time frame.

We did, and here we are.  There are no external motivators for going TLP
other than we've had this time line, here we are, and if acceptable, get
it done and continue with our code and community building.

(To be honest, it would be cool to be TLP before Sun formally announces
their new project Real Soon Now, but that's really just for bragging
rights.  Same reason why we want to do a certified release before they
get their code out by June of next year - "ASF - home of the world's
first open source implementation of Java SE")

> Also there's the whole issue of Sun and
> opensourcing java - sure, it shouldn't affect Harmony directly, but on
> the other hand I see a risk there (not great, but they may surprise us).
> Just my EUR.02s worth on non-binding -1.

Harmony is an independent implementation of the spec.  Sun has their own
implementation of the spec.  What they do with that implementation is up
to them, and whatever they do, this isn't about changes to the JCP or
the spec or the licenses.  It's just about taking their codebase and
putting it out under an open source license, and trying to build a
community around it.

geir