incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:06:32 GMT

robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 10/18/06, Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
>> You said that you have run Tomcat on top of Harmony. Why can't you
>> produce a release such that I can throw the Tomcat jar at it, too?
>> Sure, it is a developer release, but it let's non-Harmony folks play
>> with your project.
>
> i'd like to give harmony a spin as well :-)

Go for it.  We're really interested in people's feedback.

>> Is there a specific problem with producing a developer release?
>
> releases come in many forms :-)
>
> it's usual to think of an easy-to-use ready-to-run binary aimed at end
> users called something like httpd-2.0.59. i agree that harmony isn't
> ready for something like that nor would the effort of producing
> something like that be at all worthwhile.
>
> but at an essential level, all that's require is to vote, tag the
> source and create a tarball of the tagged source.
>
> harmony already does something similar for daily snapshots. IMHO the
> next step would be to start cutting milestones each week or two so
> they can be picked up with a little more certainty than the daily
> snapshots. perhaps name them after the week they were cut
> (harmony-M3406, say).
>
> i think harmony is more than ready to take this step.

I think that the core issue is "can the community govern itself in an
Apache manner", which is the core driver behind the "do a release"
suggestion.  I'm guessing that the "do a release" suggestion is simply a
mechanism for PMC members to get information on which to make a decision.

Will you (and others that have questions) be satisfied if other mentors
provide similar assessments as I have as to community status and ability
to self-govern?

geir