incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:07:44 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 10/18/06, Sam Ruby <rubys@apache.org> wrote:
>> At ApacheCon, it was noticed that at the present time the number of
>> podlings exceeds the number of Apache projects (I believe the figures
>> quoted were 37 to 35).
>>
>> I am of the opinion that the pendulum has swung too far - we seem to
>> have a number of potential projects effectively "parked" in incubation.
>>
>> In the case of Harmony, I would be prepared to vote for graduation.
>
> As long as the Harmony PPMC has demonstrated that it can manage itself
> (a very good sign of this is adding new committers and/or conducting a
> release), then, IMHO, it's ready to graduate.  But, I'm not willing to
> compromise on that to rush projects out of the Incubator.  We've all
> seen the hell that happens when we approve podlings too soon.  --

"rush projects"? - again imputing motivation.  Stop that.  :-)

At the moment, we have multiple projects in "active" incubation since 2003.

As somebody (<grin>) so colorfully put it last week, there is no need to
be "polishing turds" here.  There has to be a happy medium between
"rushing projects", and only graduating four projects in the last 12 months.

- Sam Ruby