incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:30:55 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>> Legal ducks?  this project has a flock :)  And there is no requirement
>> for a release for graduation, is there?   (Ironic, since the early rule
>> in the incubator was that no releases were allowed ;)
>
> The early rule did not work, specifically for projects that intended
> to graduate as a TLP.  There was insufficient experience left in one
> group post-graduation to properly create an Apache release, so we were
> criticized for having approved their graduation.
>
> How do we know that a group has learned the Apache way of doing things
> if they have never voted on a release?  The single most important action
> of a TLP should be learned by the committers before they become a TLP.

At ApacheCon, it was noticed that at the present time the number of
podlings exceeds the number of Apache projects (I believe the figures
quoted were 37 to 35).

I am of the opinion that the pendulum has swung too far - we seem to
have a number of potential projects effectively "parked" in incubation.

In the case of Harmony, I would be prepared to vote for graduation.

- Sam Ruby