incubator-general mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Release Requirements
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:07:28 GMT
> If you tried to use the release and it is broken, you have a ground for
> -1 vote, but if you expected a Makefile in the src folder, and it wasn't
> there (e.g. because the build procedure is a little more involved than
> that), you probably don't.

For what it's probably not worth, I'd like to point out that I did
specifically NOT talk about the "source distribution" and pointedly NOT
about the "build system". I did however talk about the
"bin-distribution" and what jars to include there (both a bin (class),
and an "IDE src"), it having a root-directory when unpacking the
tarball, where the javadoc should go (and e.g. having an index.html file
in the docs dir, to map out all other docs), and the names of these
artifacts (I'd _E.G_ personally prefer that the rootdir and the jars
have the version included in the actual filename)..
   However, since I was repeatedly talking about 'jars' and 'javadocs',
I just assumed that the readers of these emails would understand that I
wrote about java specifics. I pretty much assumed that it was given that
the "bin-distribution" of a C project would have a different layout, but
in my opinion, that layout should also be enforced as much as possible.

The underlying point is that for "consumers" of Apache projects, Apache
with its multiple subprojects _could_ seem to have a consistent and
quality _end-user_ packaging (that's not the source, folks) without
surprises for the consumer part. It would be a huge plus for each and
every person that have to download something from Apache, both if it is
just some damn dependency from another project, but also if it is
downloaded "in its own right".
   Such enforcement would really not imply any strict rules about
anything, except for how the "end product" should in most circumstances
be packaged (given that it can be packaged in such a way (read:
libraries) - e.g. Tomcat probably can't).

Having people repeatedly bring up "a Makefile in a java project" is thus
in two ways a strong indication about the person not actually reading
the emails in the thread, or intentionally trying to derail the
discussion: I referred to the bin distribution (they _shalln't_ have a
bleedin' Makefile, nor a build.xml), and _java_.

Endre.