incubator-general mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.no>
Subject Re: Release Requirements
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:35:50 GMT
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/12/06, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>> Can we agree that regardless of which style one might prefer the
>> packaging,
>> there are multiple valid approaches, and that this level of difference
>> should not be a release criteria for the Incubator?
>
> Yes, agreed, +1.  This is a technical decision to be made by the
> project team in the best interest of their users, not by the Incubator
> PMC.

My two (probably rather worthless) cents:

I find it slightly annoying that even different bin-balls within commons
have different layouts when you unpack them. In particular when there
are dependencies - you will actually have to check out each and every
thing you download, and in some instances also download the src package,
and some packages even don't have a "root dir", thus unpacking directly
in current dir (that is however more or less unified now, isn't it?)

In particular "libraries" would benefit a lot if there was a common way
that they were packaged. For example that the binary distribution had a
<packagename>-ide.jar (or whatever you'd want to call them), having the
source-files for easy integration into your ide, and maybe that the
javadoc was at a predefined place. What about version-naming of the
jars? Versioning of the root-dir?
   Check out CPAN - that's structure for you!

Regards,
Endre.