incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Policy on Initial Committership
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 02:49:22 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> I disagree with filtering even inactive old contributors to an
> incoming project (at least for open source projects, I'm not sure how
> I feel with regard to inactive contributors to proprietary code that's
> being contributed).  I think it would be quite wrong if a former
> contributor were to show up 6 months after the project moved to the
> ASF and had to jump through all sorts of hoops to gain access to the
> code again.  At the very least we should have some provision for
> preemptively marking inactive people as emeritus committers, who can
> come back at any time.

Uhm there is, no?

 * join committers by following the instructions
 * introduce yourself
 * declare yourself emeritus/temporarily (at least) retired

Otherwise

 * join the dicussion
 * introduce yourself as the folk who wrote the Xxxx components
 * ask to participate

If you can't do the first over the course of 2 mos, 3 mos, 6 mos or
the year it takes to graduate, follow the second course?

Somewhere in this scheme common sense needs to be re-introduced :)