incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy on Initial Committership
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2006 17:42:59 GMT
Newcomer, Eric wrote:

> A couple of things stand out to me from this: it is important to follow
> the process and treat approval of a proposal in terms of the agreement
> it represents (and carry it out accordingly) and that as Roy said
> although it may take some time in the end the right thing will happen.

One thing is still missing here, as a general policy/observation and not
applicable to already adopted projects...

I for one will be voting -1 on all new submissions that don't include
a short biographical on the proposed participants.  I don't mean a life
story, but their relationship to and history with the incoming code and/or
their involvement with the area/technologies covered by the proposal.

For OSS transitions from another home, this can often be a short 'Author
of the Foo container bits, see also ralphj commits to ___ and mailing list
participation on dev@example.com', or 'contributing author to spec X'.

For Corporate contributions, this has to be more detailed.  At the very
least, justify the individual's participation -in the code-.

This would serve to help keep legacy contributors connected to the effort,
and explain that connection to newcomers, but justify their participation
in a meritocracy.  It will help the project, four years down the road, do
a /whois and come up with something meaningful about any of their members.

Bill