incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: PPMCs [was Re: what are required for contributing to release management]
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2006 19:58:36 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>the

>>>Are you reading Dan's statement as independent or dependent upon time?

>>>read it as an objection to mandated concurrency.  Over time, your view
>>>should be the dominant one, as each Committer becomes a (P)PMC member.
>>>

>>as for the one line that you retained: I view Dan's perspective as
>>being independent of time - that is, committers should never equal
>>the PMC - I view that as extremely unhealthy.
>>

>If I had read it as you do, I would agree with you.  I read it as suggestive
>of a process over time, and that at any snapshot in time, the body of
>Committers might not be entirely present in the PPMC.

I did in fact mean it as dependent on time. And specifically I meant at
the beginning of incubation. I don't think every committer should be on
the PPMC from the outset. Every committer may be on the PPMC at
graduation, and this is encouraged, but only after they are explicitly
voted on by the existing PPMC members. Now the PPMC may just chose to
vote on specific individuals or everyone at once, its up to them. I
would however encourage only voting people in after they an appropriate
level of committment and involvement with the project.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
(616) 971-2053