incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mirroring/rsyncing the maven repos on people.apache.org?
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 07:11:13 GMT
On 10/26/06, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
> With the hardware issues of people.apache.org lately its been a trying
> week working on stuff in the incubator - maven builds have been
> failing most of the week. We've also lost a few releases it seems
> (XBean 2.7, ServiceMix 3.0 maybe others too) due to the reversal to an
> old backup.
>
> Am wondering, is it time to mirror the repos in people.apache.org so
> we can insulate ourselves against future failures?

We need to do something.

With regards to snapshots, one hope is to set up a central snapshot
repository and manage it in the same way the maven central one is
managed.

With regards to the incubating projects - the options are pretty clear:

1) Rsync them over to the maven central repository or central snapshot
repository (our choice, presuming the latter is possible).

2) Start managing the infrastructure for a maven repository properly.
I'm in favour of Robert's SVN ideas - it's how we manage our
repository at osjava.org and it's never been a problem - so just
becomes a question of whether it scales. It also lets us learn slowly
before applying such ideas to an asf repository. There's real value in
a repository that only has asf vetted items in and has high quality of
releases into it, but I think we need to be doing a smaller prototype
first.

Hen