incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy on Initial Committership
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:28:17 GMT

On 1 Oct 06, at 6:38 PM 1 Oct 06, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> Taken from the "Problem with commit rights on Celtixfire" thread:
>>
>>  - The Incubator PMC sets the Mentors, who form the initial PPMC
>>  - The PPMC (Mentors) elects additional PPMC members
>>  - The PPMC elects Committers
>>
>> This also implies changing the proposal's initial committers list to
>> something suggestive not binding, allowing the the Mentors review
>> and vote
>> on comitters.
>
> -1.  Of the people participating in a new project, the Mentors are the
> least capable of selecting a PPMC.

I don't think that's true. At least not in the case of CXF. I know
both code bases reasonably well as a casual user and I know for
example that Dan and Dan are very active and would have the knowledge
to bring other PPMC members aboard. Dan and Dan were the first people
I asked to be added to the PPMC so discussions could be started
regarding brining in as many other developers who were known to be
committed to the project. So your argument here is not accurate in
general.