incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:02:34 GMT
On Oct 17, 2006, at 10:11 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Daniel Kulp wrote:
>> On Tuesday October 17 2006 12:44 am, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>> The PPMC of the Apache Harmony incubator podling has voted to ask
>>> for
>>> graduation from the Apache Incubator.  We have enjoyed our time here
>>> with you, but feel that we don't want to overstay our welcome.
>>> We want
>>>  to do our part to help make sure the ASF has more projects than the
>>> Incubator :)
>>
>> ---- snip ----
>>
>>> We won't have a release of this software until we are finished with
>>> Java SE 5.  We may have milestone release late this quarter or in
>>> Q1 of
>>> next year, but we wish to avoid hyping the capability of what we
>>> have,
>>> and get our software stabilized and useful for general use.
>>> Users are
>>> very important to us, but we realize that there's a minimum
>>> amount of
>>> functionality and stability required before it's interesting to the
>>> casual user, and we're just reaching that point.
>>

>> I don't have a binding vote, but my thought is Harmony has the
>> same "issue" as Felix: namely they haven't done a release or provided
>> even a "test release" to the IPMC so the IPMC can be sure the podling
>> knows the proper way to do a release and understands and can
>> correct all
>> the issues such as proper apache licensing, etc...    Basically, make
>> sure the podling can get all their "Apache Legal Ducks in a Row."
>
> Legal ducks?  this project has a flock :)  And there is no requirement
> for a release for graduation, is there?   (Ironic, since the early
> rule
> in the incubator was that no releases were allowed ;)

The early rule did not work, specifically for projects that intended
to graduate as a TLP.  There was insufficient experience left in one
group post-graduation to properly create an Apache release, so we were
criticized for having approved their graduation.

How do we know that a group has learned the Apache way of doing things
if they have never voted on a release?  The single most important action
of a TLP should be learned by the committers before they become a TLP.

> This is a major project (at 1.3M lines of code and counting) with a
> clearly defined deliverable (compatible java SE 5), and we're not
> ready
> yet to release something.

But are you ready to produce something that can be voted on?
Even if it is only a milestone package for developer use only?

It doesn't need to result in a released product -- it just needs
to make everyone in the project agree and understand how future
releases will be made.  Sometimes, shit can lay hidden until an
important decision needs to be made, such as who will RM and what
should be included.  It is better to let the shit hit the fan now
than to assume it will all work out later on.

....Roy