incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mads Toftum <>
Subject Re: [discussion] Harmony podling to ask for vote for graduation
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:10:37 GMT
On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 11:44:22PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> The PPMC of the Apache Harmony incubator podling has voted to ask for
> graduation from the Apache Incubator.  We have enjoyed our time here
> with you, but feel that we don't want to overstay our welcome.  We want
>  to do our part to help make sure the ASF has more projects than the
> Incubator :)
On the surface everything appears fine to the point of graduating minus
the proving that you can do a release. But given past experiences with
graduating large projects too fast, I'd be much in favor of keeping
Harmony in incubation for another 6 months - it worries me slightly that
you seem to be in haste to move on almost immediately after all
requirements look ok, not giving it a bit of time to prove that this is
not just a temporary state. Also there's the whole issue of Sun and
opensourcing java - sure, it shouldn't affect Harmony directly, but on
the other hand I see a risk there (not great, but they may surprise us).
Just my EUR.02s worth on non-binding -1.

Mads Toftum

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message