incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mads Toftum <m...@toftum.dk>
Subject Re: Policy on Initial Committership
Date Sun, 08 Oct 2006 15:19:52 GMT
On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 08:55:47AM -0500, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> Noel and I were chatting about this last night, and my position is that I'm
> okay with 'piling on' by ASF folks *if* the podling community is happy with
> that.  If the podling folks do not want them on the initial list and desire
> that they earn their commit bits through actual participation, I'm okay with
> that too.

Why even bother with that? it is usually so much easier to give out
commit access to people who already are committers - if we hold off on
that type of "piling on" until after the proposal has been accepted,
then we're sure that the podling want those people on there, and we
don't risk voting on a proposal that is skewed by various people adding
themselves because they can.
Sure, I think podling should be open to taking active committers (from
non-incubator projects) onto the list without much fuss, but that's
different from opening the gates to everyone, will get roughly as many
people committing on the project and doesn't have the same avenues for
abuse as your position.

vh

Mads Toftum
--